- 1 and 1/2 orange, juice only
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 4 big handfuls of salad greens, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1/3 cup black olives, (the wrinkly, oily ones), pitted
- In a medium bowl whisk together the juice of 1/2 orange, lemon juice, most of the red onion, olive oil, and salt. Whisk together until emulsified, taste and adjust with more salt or lemon juice if needed.
- Peel the remaining orange and cut into segments, removing any seeds you might encounter. Set aside.
- When you’re ready to serve, place the salad greens in a large bowl. Toss very gently with a generous splash of the dressing. Add the orange segments and walnuts. Give another toss. Taste and decide if you need to add more dressing, if needed, add a bit more at a time, giving a good toss between additions. Make sure the nuts and citrus haven’t all gone to the bottom, help them back up to the top if needed. Serve salad topped with the remaining red onion and olives.