- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (one 1/4-ounce envelope) active dry yeast
- coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1. Combine flour, yeast, and 1 tablespoon salt in a bowl. Gradually pour in oil, then water, and mix until dough comes together.
- 2. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Shape dough into a ball, and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Let stand, covered with a towel, in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- 3. Roll out dough to a 6-by-12-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into nine 2-by-4-inch rectangles. Transfer to a floured surface. Let stand, covered with a kitchen towel, in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- 4. Heat a cast-iron skillet set over a campfire or on a medium-high grill. Working in batches, cook rolls until puffed and undersides are browned, about 5 minutes. Flip, and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes more.