Chicken and Dumplings – Besuretocook.com
This is a family favorite of ours.
- 1 whole chicken
- 6 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cups shortening
- 3 cups whole milk
- Rinse chicken and place in a 10 quart pot.
- Fill pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from the broth and de-bone and then return chicken to the broth.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, self-rising flour, shortening and milk. Mix and knead dough.
- Roll out dough, adding flour as needed. Cut into 2″ X 2″ squares.
- Bring chicken and broth to a rolling boil.
- Place squares individually into broth and chicken, then boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.